Going fishing on a kayak can be a very enjoyable experience. You will be able to casually travel through natural environments as you catch cool fish. However, most kayaks are expensive, heavy, and take up a lot of storage space.
As a result, some people will not be able to experience fishing on a kayak.
Fortunately, you can buy inflatable fishing kayaks. These products have the benefits of standard kayaks but take up less space and are easier to carry. Trying to find an inflatable fishing kayak can be strenuous and confusing since there are a lot of different products on the market.
You could even say that the market has been flooded by them! To help you, we have created a list of the best inflatable fishing kayaks out there.
Table Of Contents
Best Budget Pick: Intex Excursion Pro Kayak
Firstly, this kayak will be great for people who wish to go fishing. Capable of holding two passengers, it is ideal for taking a friend or family member on an adventure. This kayak is strong and rigid.
Yet, it also has lots of user-friendly features. These include a repair patch, a mounting bracket, and storage space.
- Laminate PVC and polyester core – this material strikes the perfect balance between being both durable and lightweight. This strong material is capable of resisting damage caused by abrasions, sunlight, or impacts. Furthermore, it will not be impacted by gasoline or saltwater. As a result, you can rest assured that you are safe when using this kayak.
- Mounting bracket – if you want to make use of accessories, such as a GPS system, this kayak features built-in brackets for convenience.
- 400lbs weight capacity – this kayak can hold a solid amount of weight. Aside from the two passengers, you will be able to carry any equipment you may need. This kayak has stainless steel d rings so that you can safely store any necessary equipment.
- Lots of items included – alongside the kayak itself, this item comes with a carry bag, a high-output pump, and two aluminum oars that are 86 inches in length. These objects will make your fishing experience much smoother. The pump will result in the inflating process being simpler.
- Paddles are not of amazing quality – some customers have observed that the oars are not that great. Some have found these aluminum paddles to be weak. Of course, since these items are merely included with the kayak, you can swap them out for better products.
- Super tough laminate PVC with polyester core: Light weight and highly resistant to damage from abrasion, impact and sunlight
- High pressure inflation provides extra rigidity and stability, with high pressure spring loaded valves for easy inflation and fast deflation
- Includes 2 removable skews for deep and shallow water, 2 floor mounted footrests, 2 integrated recessed fishing rod holders, 2 adjustable bucket seats
- Removable and adjustable mounting bracket for additional accessories, such as GPS systems, fish finders, swivel fishing rod holders etc. Includes a carry bag and repair patch
- Storage space in bow and Stern with stainless steel d rings for tying down Dry bags and gear; Kayak total weight capacity: 400 pounds
Middle Of The Road: Elkton Outdoors Steelhead Inflatable Fishing Kayak
The second product on this list is from Elkton. This kayak is perfectly suited to fishing thanks to its drop-stitch floor. Aside from this, the excellent elements of the kayak include its portability, storage, and durability.
- Drop-stitch floor – to enhance your fishing experience, this kayak has a drop-stitch floor. This will help you to get into the correct fishing position.
- Bungee storage – in order to store all your fishing equipment, such as rods, nets, bait, and cameras, this kayak comes with a secure bungee storage space.
- 1000D reinforced layered PVC – fishing on a kayak can force you to face rough conditions. Thankfully, this kayak has been constructed to be strong. If it hits obstacles, such as rocks or logs, it will keep you safe by bouncing off them.
- Easy to set up – nobody wants to spend ages inflating and setting up their kayak. Fortunately, this item is simple to inflate thanks to a nifty hand pump. It is also easy to deflate and can be stored in a useful travel bag.
- Expensive – compared to other inflatable kayaks, this item is quite costly. The reason for this is that you get a lot of bang for your buck. This kayak has lots of incredible features that will impact the price. As a result, it is not advised that you look into getting the model if you have a small budget.
- Limited seating capacity – this kayak can only contain 1 person. As a result, it is not suited for people who are looking to go fishing with a friend or family member.
Top Of The Line: Sea Eagle 385fta Angler Series Fishing Kayak
If you are looking for the Cadillac of fishing kayaks, the Sea Eagle 385tka is right up your alley. This ain’t yo mama’s inflatable fishing kayak!
The standard package includes the kayak, paddle, seat, carry bag, pump, skeg, and repair kit.
However, they offer numerous upgrades to really trick out this kayak so you’ll be the envy of all your buddies, no trailer required!
One package comes with an elevated swivel seat. This will enable you to get a better view of the water plus you’ll have a full 360 degrees of swivel from which you can fight and land your fish.
The Mac Daddy of all packages, though, is the Pro Motor Rig package. This bad boy gets you the swivel seat, its own trolling motor, motor mount, and all the other fixins of the standard package. No other kayak comes as equipped straight out of the bag as this one. Save the DIY for someone else.
The Fast Track Angler can fit up to 3 people or a whopping 635lbs! Not only that, it’s rugged as hell with their proprietary crocodile hide hull material.
In addition, Sea Eagle is a trusted brand that has been making these kayaks since 1968! If you want a total one stop shop for fishing kayaks then look no further than the 385tka Fast Track Angler.
- 650lbs capacity – capable of holding more weight than many of its rivals, you can either fit three people on this kayak or take fewer people and more equipment. This means that the boat can comfortably support all of your fishing tools.
- Less than 10 minute inflation time – this kayak can quickly and efficiently be set up, saving you time and effort. Instead, you can spend this time fishing.
- Numerous packages – Sea Eagle offers the standard package all the way to premium packages with no detail overlooked. Pick one that fits your budget.
- Top end of the budget – Many people look to IKs as a budget-friendly option. You won’t get that with the Sea Eagle. You’ll save time and space but not money. But they offer options no other inflatable kayak does.
Best Inflatable Fishing Kayak Buyer’s Guide
After reading through the advantages and disadvantages of these recommendations, you will now have a better understanding of what makes an inflatable fishing kayak good. This is because you will now know what features to look out for and avoid.
On the other hand, shopping for an inflatable kayak can actually be more slippery (pun intended) than it seems at first glance. The reason for this is that there are loads of different features that you will have to compare when shopping for a product.
To help you, we have listed some of these features. Please bear these features in mind when you are looking for the product of your dreams.
Though they tend to be cheaper than traditional kayaks, inflatable versions can still be quite a large investment. You may need to spend a few hundred dollars on an advanced inflatable kayak.
That is not to say that you cannot get an excellent inflatable kayak for an affordable price. In fact, as this list demonstrates, there are many affordable products out there.
If you are concerned about the cost of an inflatable kayak, most online retailers will allow you to order your searches from the lowest-priced item to the highest. This makes it easier to find an inflatable kayak for a cheap price.
Kayaks can be sold in different sizes. Larger kayaks tend to be capable of holding more weight. Not only does this mean that they can transport more people, but also that they can hold more items, such as fishing equipment.
If you are traveling with a lot of fishing gear, you will definitely need to research how much a kayak can hold. It is best to get one that is strong enough to support a lot of weight. Otherwise, you may have to remove some of the weight!
As mentioned above, the size of a kayak can vary considerably. This will impact the capacity, which means the number of people that can use a kayak at any given time. Most kayaks will be able to hold two people, though some are able to support more.
If you are planning a journey or trip with a group of people, you will definitely need to consider the capacity. If you do not, you may not have enough kayaks to fit all the people you are traveling with.
There is a misconception that inflatable kayaks are not very durable. This is not necessarily true, since a kayak would be unsafe if it was not durable.
Inflatable kayaks are made from materials that withstand tough water conditions and harsh impacts. Of course, there will be discrepancies in the extent to which kayaks are durable.
To see if a product is durable, you should look into what materials have been used in its construction. If they are made from high-quality and sturdy materials, you should be okay with buying a kayak.
Ease Of Inflation
Most people will not want to spend loads of time inflating their kayaks. They would much rather spend this time using their vessels to go fishing. If you are one of these people, you should research how easy and quick it is to inflate.
Most kayaks will come with pumps that you can operate in order to inflate your vessel. If an item is not accompanied by one of these pumps, the stress and cost of this purchase will be added to. This is because you will need to buy a separate pump.
Inflatable kayaks are easy to store and will not take up too much room. Unfortunately, some will be easier to store than others. This is because some are naturally larger than their rivals.
If you have limited storage space, you may want to invest in an inflatable kayak that comes with a storage bag. These bags have been designed to efficiently hold the kayaks.
If you are sitting in a kayak for a long period, you will not want it to feel uncomfortable.
To prevent this issue from arising, you should aim to get a comfortable kayak. The chairs should be made from a breathable and soft material, ideally with padding. They should also provide back support to stop your back from aching.
One of the main advantages that an inflatable kayak has over a standard kayak is the fact that it is more portable. Because these products can be inflated and deflated, they are much easier to carry and store.
Therefore, if you are looking for an inflatable kayak, you will likely desire one that is portable. To determine this, you should see how light an item is. If it is heavy, you may want to avoid it.
Likewise, you should also see if it has been designed with portability in mind. If it has, the kayak may come with a bag that it can fit into and be carried in.
As previously mentioned, not all inflatable kayaks will come with a pump. Though they are essential for inflating the kayak, they are occasionally not included. However, inflatable kayaks will often come with additional accessories.
This can include paddles. This will save you time and effort in having to source your own paddles.
The quality of these paddles will vary, meaning you may still have to buy separate items. If you are looking to save money, you will want a kayak that comes with paddles. You should also check whether other accessories are included.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are inflatable kayaks a good choice for fishing?
Yes, inflatable kayaks are an excellent vessel for fishing. They can be used in lots of different bodies of water, such as ponds and lakes. Most kayaks will have sufficient room for all of your fishing equipment.
When it comes to inflatable kayaks, some people are concerned about picturing their vessel. However, these kayaks have been built to be durable, lowering the risk of this occurring.
That does not mean that it never happens. Thankfully, most of these kayaks will come with repair kits, so you can fix this issue if it does happen.
What Are Some Of The Advantages Of An Inflatable Kayak?
There are lots of advantages to buying an inflatable kayak over having a standard kayak. These are:
Inflatable kayaks are more lightweight.
They are more portable since they can be deflated and stored in a bag. This also means that they use up less storage space.
They are more affordable than most standard kayaks.
Also, inflatable kayaks are more comfortable than other kayaks. The seats tend to be made from softer materials.
How Long Will It Take To Inflate A Kayak?
This will depend on the product. This is because one brand might take less time to inflate than another brand. Roughly, it should take you between 5 and 10 minutes, though this time will vary.
Last update on 2021-07-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API