You scoured the internet, read tons of reviews, and really did your homework looking for the perfect kayak to suit your lifestyle.
You take it out for its inaugural paddle and are having a blast, patting yourself on the back for having chosen so wisely but then…agh! Upon patting yourself on the back you notice a pain shooting down your neck and spine.
It’s only been 45 minutes and your back and shoulders are killing you, not to mention you’ve lost feeling in your bum. Disheartened, you turn the kayak around and paddle back to shore, struggling more with each stroke.
Time to get back online and start researching a new kayak seat to complement the new kayak you just bought!
Good news: You needn’t look any further because I have compiled a list of the best kayak seats that will have you back on the water and paddling pain-free in no time!
Get an overview of my selections, check out the comparison table, or find out who benefits from which seat. Just click your preferred option in the Table of Contents below!
- What Are the Best Kayak Seats?
- Kayak Seat Comparison Chart
- Back-tastic and Bootylicious Kayak Seats For All
What Are the Best Kayak Seats?
I know most people are pressed for time so here is a brief summary of the most comfortable kayak seats on the market today. They are:
- Extra foam padding provides “couch-like comfort on the water”. Most would agree although a few naysayers claim there’s not enough support and the padding is too thin.
- Great as an added layer to an existing kayak seat. The thin, gel-filled padding insulates paddlers from a cold seat and provides just enough padding to prevent spine rub and chafing.
- Thoughtfully engineered with a 6 point adjustment system vs the standard 4, comfort/drainage channels on the seat to keep you dry, and proprietary seat material to provide the perfect mix of support and comfort.
- Uses a Fluidized Gel instead of foam as well as breathable fabric to prevent a hot seat. Extra fiberglass batten in the back gives additional support for those who don’t like flimsy seat backs.
- This one comes with a detachable backpack/bag where you can store small personal items like snacks, sunscreen, or wallet. High marks for comfort at an affordable price.
- Designed with the angler in mind, this seat pad uses gel technology to reduce pain and numbness. Bright colors for high visibility and also buoyant. Non-slip bottom guarantees no seat slippage so you can fish in comfort.
Kayak Seat Comparison Chart
Below you’ll find a handy chart that compares each of the 6 selected kayak seats for comparison.
At a glance, you’ll be able to see the differences between each brand when it comes to important factors like the materials used to make the seat, how it attaches to your kayak, any additional features that set the seat apart from the others, and the price range the seat falls within.
|Ocean Kayak Comfort Plus Seat Back||UV Resistant Nylon;|
Brass Swivel Buckles
|4||Reflective logos that illuminate in the dark;|
Extra foam padding
|Yak Pads Gel-Filled Paddle Saddle||Proprietary comfort gel padding||None||Dramatic comfort without raising your center of gravity||$|
|GTS Expedition Molded Foam Kayak Seat||Thermoformed foam/plastic/fabric blend; soft for comfort but rigid for support||6||Comfort/drainage channels to funnel excess water;|
Mesh bungee pouch for storage
|Skwoosh High Back Kayak Seat||TekPad Fluidized Gel;|
AirFlo 3D Fabric
|4||Reinforced back with 2 fiberglass batten for additional strength||$$|
|PacTrade Marine Adjustable Padded Deluxe Kayak Seat||Neoprene + 600D polyester; EVA foam + PE plate||4||Detachable backpack for accessories and snacks; non-slip padded contoured slip surface||$|
|Skwoosh Angler Fishing Cushion Gel Seat Pad||Patented lightweight pressure relieving fluidized gel; waterproof exterior||1 (3 ft. tether)||Non-skid bottom; built in grommet for gear attachment; high visibility color; Floats||$|
Back-tastic and Bootylicious Kayak Seats For All
Every kayaker is different in terms of what they need to paddle in perfect comfort. Some just need a little more cushion for their booty while others need kayak seats that offer complete lumbar and spinal support.
The seats chosen above represent a wide range of options that will be suitable for an array of paddlers:
-The kayak angler fishing in windy or choppy conditions for which the Skwoosh Gel Seat Pad with its 3-foot tether and buoyant flotation will be perfect;
-The paddler with a bad back who needs the maximum in support without compromising on comfort for which nothing but the GTS Expedition will do;
-Or the paddler who needs something just a touch more comfortable than the baseline plastic molded seat that came standard in their sit-on-top kayak for which the YakPak Gel Seat will be perfect for.
It may seem like a little thing or you might not be keen on spending even more on your kayak than you already have, but providing the right kind of support and comfort for your body can make a world of difference. Enhance your paddling experience and get the full enjoyment out of your kayak with a seat that’s going to support you in all the right places.
Be kind to your behind! Find the perfect kayak seat that will have you back on the water and paddling in pain-free pleasure in no time. That’s something to “Ahh!” about!